An independently-run service, the centre operates from a council-owned building in Circle St, New Norfolk, staffed by a team of volunteers. In a statement, the council said it was acting in the interests of the health of the volunteers.
During the shutdown, visitors to the area will be able to call 0413 478 759 for information about local accommodation and attractions.
Advice about where to find official information about COVID-19 now appears at the top of the New Norfolk News homepage, including general advice about helping to reduce the spread of the virus. The best information is sourced from: World Health Organisation; Australian Government Department of Health; and the Tasmanian Government Department of Health.
Washing your hands for 20 seconds is one of the most effective forms of infection control. Do this: after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing; after close physical contact with anyone who is unwell; after using the toilet; before and after eating; before, during and after preparing food; and after feeding or touching a pet.
- Corumbene Home: temporarily closed to visitors;
- Woolworths: new opening hours 8am-8pm (7am-8am for seniors)
- Anzac Day events: cancelled;
- Anglican Church services: temporarily suspended;
- Shanghai Chinese Restaurant: temporarily open for takeaways only;
- Derwent Valley Visitor Information Centre: temporarily closed.
- Derwent Valley Youth Week Activities: postponed.
- Speedway (Sorell Creek): March 28 meeting cancelled.