Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for LARGE HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL
For people in Western, Central Plateau and parts of Upper Derwent Valley, South East, East Coast, Central North and Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 2:19 pm Sunday, 16 December 2018.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HEAVY RAINFALL
Weather Situation: Humid and unsettled conditions are generating slow moving thunderstorms across much of Tasmania today.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Strahan, Queenstown, Strathgordon, Zeehan, Tarraleah and Geeveston.
Isolated thunderstorms have developed within the warning area and are expected to intensify over the coming hours.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:20 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.