|Click image to enlarge.|
Titled "Memories of the Derwent Valley", the exhibition features items that have been donated to the New Norfolk Historical Information Centre by members of the public over the last three decades.
The exhibition was two years in the making, following receipt of grant funding from Arts Tasmania. Expert advice has been received from roving curator Melissa Smith at monthly workshops involving a dedicated team of Historical Information Centre Committee volunteers and members.
Through this process, 10 items from the centre’s collection were been identified as having great meaning to the people of the Derwent Valley and thus selected for this exhibition. These are:
- Boots made for patients of the Royal Derwent Hospital, c1960s
- First World War memorial plaques for two brothers from the Derwent Valley, c1920
- Books from the original New Norfolk Public Library, c1860-1960
- Tasmanian Devil fishing lures, c1979, and the story of the Wigston family
- Scarlet hunting jacket, c1840-70
- L.M. Shoobridge building, 1939
- Fruitpickers’ tins, c1950, and the story of the small fruit industry
- Maternity Bra promotional display, c1960s (from Stella Potter’s shop) and baby scales, c1940
- Fruitpicking tally book c1890
- Stationmaster’s memorabilia, 1964-85.
The New Norfolk Historical Information Centre was founded by local volunteers in partnership with the Derwent Valley Council and the National Trust in 1988. Having already established a display for visitors in the former public library building next door (officially opened in 1986 by His Excellency Sir James Plimsoll), in 1991 the Centre was granted use of the L.M. Shoobridge building as a meeting space and storage facility. In 1999 the historical displays were transferred to the Shoobridge building when the old library was converted into Derwent Valley Information Centre.
The current exhibition celebrates the 30th anniversary of the establishing of the New Norfolk Historical Information Centre as a Special Committee of the Derwent Valley Council. The exhibition is in the historical centre in Circle St, adjacent to the council chambers.