Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for HEAVY RAINFALL
For people in parts of Western, Upper Derwent Valley and South East Forecast Districts.
Issued at 6:30 pm Saturday, 3 March 2018.
Weather Situation: An active trough crosses the state this evening.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include New Norfolk, Bushy Park, Hobart, Geeveston, Dover and Huonville.
Short but intense rainfall may occur in thunderstorms.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 9:30 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Hobart and Surrounds, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.