|The New Norfolk Market in High St is set to expand.|
In a supplementary agenda item, council general manager Greg Winton said the New Norfolk Street Market was operating on a trial basis on Saturdays between 8am and 2pm. "The section of High St in use for this purpose is between Burnett and Charles Streets," Mr Winton said in his report.
Mr Winton said the organiser of the market had proposed increasing the originally-allocated area to improve accessibility and safety, and to accommodate the demand for stall space. The general manager did not provide a copy of the proposal with his report to councillors, saying it was only brief.
After a 30-minute discussion, councillors voted unanimously to expand the area available for the market's trial period. Stalls will now be able to be laid out on High St between the Burnett St roundabout and the Stephen St roundabout. The council will also allow up to three market stalls to be placed on Lee's Corner.
Councillors also asked the general manager to ensure that:
- Appropriate signage was in place for pedestrian safety
- Businesses open during the market are not obstructed by stalls
- Sufficient garbage bins are provided
- Signs are installed to provide directions to public toilets, and
- Additional cleaning of public toilets is carried out if required