Bureau of Meteorology
Tasmanian Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for HEAVY RAINFALLFor people in the Midlands and parts of the Upper Derwent Valley, South East, East Coast, Central North and Central Plateau Forecast Districts.
Issued at 7:19 pm Sunday, 1 January 2017.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Swansea, New Norfolk and Hobart. Rainfall rates of 20mm and hour are possible.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 10:20 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.