A 44-year resident of New Norfolk until being appointed Governor of Tasmania in 2014, Professor Warner's elevation from Member of the Order of Australia to Companion of the Order is in recognition of her leading contributions to the legal community, particularly to law reform; to higher education as an academic, researcher and publisher; and as a supporter of the arts, and environmental and social justice initiatives.
Professor Warner and her husband Richard had an audience with the Queen in 2015 and in late 2016 Professor Warner served as Administrator of the Commonwealth during the Governor-General's absence.
Her Excellency's service includes:
- Governor of Tasmania, since 2014.
- University of Tasmania: Emeritus Professor of Law, Faculty of Law, since 2014; Chair, Advisory Board, Peter Underwood Centre for Educational Attainment; Member, Advisory Board, Institute for the Study of Social Change.
- Foundation Director, Tasmania Law Reform Institute, 2002-14.
- Member, Board of Legal Education, 1991-2014.
- Member, Council of Law Reporting, 1991-2014.
- Commissioner, Tasmanian Gaming Commission, 2001-14.
- Member, Tasmanian Sentencing Advisory Council, 2010-14.
- Alcorso Foundation patron (current) and president, 2010-14.
- Chair, Social Justice Sub-Committee
- Patron in Chief, Education Ambassadors, since 2015.