Bureau of Meteorology
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for DAMAGING WINDSFor people in the
Upper Derwent Valley,
East Coast and
Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 11:14 am Thursday, 8 December 2016.
A cold front will cross Tasmania during the day and the associated low pressure system will deepen as it nears the southwest coast this afternoon.
DAMAGING NORTHWESTERLY WINDS averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts around 100 km/h are forecast for the southeast of the state today.
Winds are expected to turn westerly later this evening and ease overnight.
Locations which may be affected include Swansea, Orford, New Norfolk, Hobart, Geeveston and Dover.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Supervise children closely.
* Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
* Manage pets and livestock.
* Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment.
* Be prepared in case of power outages.
* Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving.
* Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 5pm Thursday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.