Bureau of Meteorology
Tasmanian Regional Office
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for HEAVY RAINFALL
For people in the Midlands and parts of the Upper Derwent Valley, South East, East Coast and Central Plateau Forecast Districts.
Issued at 9:59am Thursday, 15 September 2016.
A rain band over Tasmania will bring heavy rain to parts of eastern Tasmania this morning. A low near the east coast of Tasmania will move away to the east this afternoon.
HEAVY RAIN which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is forecast for the East Coast south of Swansea and inland forecast districts until around midday.
Further rainfall totals of 20mm to 40mm are expected between Swansea and Bruny Island, with higher totals of 60mm to 80mm possible about elevated areas.
24 hour rainfall totals to 9am include 55mm at Gray, 50mm on Mt Wellington, 48mm at Nugent and Mt Victoria, and 47mm Triabunna.
Locations which may be affected include Oatlands, Swansea, Orford, New Norfolk, Bothwell and Hobart.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Supervise children closely.
* Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
* Manage pets and livestock.
* Clear drains and gutters on premises prior to severe weather arriving.
* Do not walk, ride or drive through flood waters.
* Be prepared in case of power outages.
* Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.