|The old St Mary's Hospital at|
36 Davey St, Hobart.
As well as demolishing some buildings and putting up a new one, the developers are also restoring the old Government Printer's Office at 34-West Davey St and the former St Mary's Hospital at 36 Davey St.
Both buildings are presently hidden behind scaffolding and screens while external stonework and heritage restoration continues. The stone repairs require replacement of some stone and this is being sourced from the Linden quarry near New Norfolk.
|34-West Davey St, Hobart.|
Next door, 34-West Davey St was built in 1886 to house the Government Printer. It was designed by W.W. Eldridge who also opted for a Gothic Revival look. Both building appear destined for retail use as well as forming part of a hotel development.
Linden stone, sourced from near New Norfolk, has previously been used in landmark buildings including the construction of the Hobart GPO and the Supreme Court of Tasmania.
|The quarry site near New Norfolk.|
|New stone inserted into the 34-West Davey St facade.|
|Much of the parapet needed to be removed and rebuilt|
with new stone from New Norfolk.