Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds
for people in the Upper Derwent Valley, King Island, Western, Midlands, East Coast and South East forecast districts
Issued at 4:27pm on Saturday 14 May 2016.
A front will cross Tasmania during Sunday morning, with a low to pass just to the south of the state during the day. Strong and gusty northwest to southwesterly winds are expected over western and southern Tasmania during Sunday afternoon and early evening.
DAMAGING WINDS around 60 km/h with peak gusts of 100 km/h are forecast for parts of the King Island, Western, Midlands, East Coast, Upper Derwent Valley and South East forecast districts during Sunday afternoon and early evening.
The State Emergency Service and Tasmania Police advise that people should:
- Supervise children closely
- Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment
- Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings
- Manage pets and livestock
- Be prepared in case of power outages
- Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving
- Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice
- For flood and storm emergency assistance, contact the SES on 13 25 00
The next warning will be issued by 11pm Saturday.