Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds
for people in the Upper Derwent Valley, King Island, Furneaux Islands, North West Coast, Central North, North East, Western, Central Plateau, Midlands, East Coast and South East forecast districts
Issued at 12:45pm on Monday 2 May 2016.
For all of Tasmania
An approaching cold front will produce strengthening winds in all districts overnight tonight and tomorrow morning.
DAMAGING NORTHWESTERLY WINDS around 60 km/h with peak gusts of 110 km/h are forecast for the King Island, Furneaux Islands, North West Coast, Central North, North East, Western and East Coast forecast districts and parts of the Central Plateau, Midlands, Upper Derwent Valley and South East forecast districts.
The State Emergency Service and Tasmania Police advise that people should:
- Supervise children closely
- Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment
- Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings
- Manage pets and livestock
- Be prepared in case of power outages
- Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving
- Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice
For flood and storm emergency assistance, contact the SES on 132 500
The next warning will be issued by 5pm Monday