Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds
for people in the Upper Derwent Valley, Western, Midlands, East Coast and South East forecast districts
Issued at 8:12am on Wednesday 9 December 2015.
For areas south of a line from Triabunna to Strathgordon.
A low pressure system will pass to the south of Tasmania today.
DAMAGING WEST to NORTHWEST WINDS around 50 km/h with peak gusts of 100 km/h are forecast for the South East forecast district and southern parts of the Western, Midlands, East Coast and Upper Derwent Valley forecast districts.
Gusts of 90 to 100km/h have been recorded at Scotts Peak and on Mt Wellington in the last 2 hours. A gust of 80km/h was recorded at 6am in Hobart.
The State Emergency Service and Tasmania Police advise that people should:
- Supervise children closely
- Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment
- Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings
- Manage pets and livestock
- Be prepared in case of power outages
- Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving
- Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice
For flood and storm emergency assistance, contact the SES on 132 500
The next warning will be issued by 5pm Wednesday.