Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds
for people in the Western, Central Plateau, Midlands, East Coast, Upper Derwent Valley and South East forecast districts
Issued at 9:02pm on Saturday 27 September 2014.
Damaging winds for the southern half of Tasmania on Sunday.
A vigorous cold front is approaching and will cross Tasmania tomorrow afternoon, with a fresh to strong northerly flow to shift west to northwesterly.
Damaging north to northwesterly winds around 60 km/h with peak gusts of 110 km/h are forecast for the Upper Derwent Valley and South East forecast districts and parts of the Western, Central Plateau, Midlands and East Coast forecast districts. Winds are expected to increase during the morning, ahead of the front, then ease in the evening.
- Supervise children closely
- Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment
- Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings
- Manage pets and livestock
- Be prepared in case of power outages
- Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving
- Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice
- For flood and storm emergency assistance, contact the SES on 132 500
The next warning will be issued by 5am Sunday.