|Click image to enlarge map|
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Tasmanian Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the Upper Derwent Valley, South East and parts of the Western, East Coast, Central Plateau and Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 2:54 pm Wednesday, 19 February 2014.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Hobart, New Norfolk, Huonville, Bothwell, Richmond and Tarraleah.
Some thunderstorms observed on radar this afternoon have probably been severe.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 13 25 00.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:55 pm.