Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Tasmanian Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the Midlands and parts of the Upper Derwent Valley, East Coast and Central Plateau Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:27pm Saturday, 15 February 2014.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Campbell Town, Oatlands, Ross and Bothwell.
A storm observed on radar near Oatlands around 4.30pm was probably a severe thunderstorm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover.
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 13 25 00.
The next warning is due to be issued by 8.30pm