Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Fire Weather Warning
for the Upper Derwent Valley and South East forecast districts
Issued at 3:51pm on Wednesday 18 December 2013.
Maximum temperatures reaching the mid to high thirties, low relative humidity and northwesterly winds averaging 30 to 40km/h are expected.
For Thursday 19 December:
Very High Fire Danger is forecast for the following forecast districts:
Upper Derwent Valley and South East
Some bushfires breaking out will spread rapidly and be difficult to control. There is a possibility that people in the path of a fire who are not well prepared may be killed or seriously injured.
The Tasmania Fire Service advises you to:
- Check your bushfire survival plan - Now.
- Monitor the fire and weather situation on ABC radio or through www.fire.tas.gov.au.
- If power supplies fail, listen on your car radio.
The Tasmania Fire Service advises that if you are in an area of Very High or Severe Fire Danger:
- Get ready now to leave for a safe place.
- Leave immediately if fire breaks out near you.
- Only stay if your home is well prepared to withstand fire and you can actively defend it.
The next warning will be issued by 5am Thursday.