Bureau of Meteorology Tasmania
Note: This Flood Watch is a "heads up" for possible future flooding and is NOT a Flood Warning.
FLOOD WATCH FOR THE HUON AND RIVER DERWENT BASINS
Issued at 4.27pm on Saturday 12 October 2013
A Flood Watch continues for the Huon River and the lower River Derwent and is now extended to the upper River Derwent.
A cold front is moving over south-western Tasmania this afternoon, with another cold front crossing Tasmania during Sunday.
Rainfall in the order of 20 to 35mm is expected about the Huon and Derwent catchments overnight Saturday.
Forecast rain likely to produce renewed river level rises across the Huon River and the River Derwent basins (including the Styx and Tyenna river catchments) later today and again on Sunday.
A Minor Flood Warning is current for the Huon River basin.
River rises in the Lower Derwent are possible during the remainder of Saturday into Sunday as levels remain high in the Styx and the Tyenna rivers. Storages within the system are at high levels, and additional rainfall could put some dams in the upper and lower Derwent on spill.
- FloodSafe advice is available at www.ses.tas.gov.au
- Road closure information is available at www.police.tas.gov.au
- For emergency assistance call the SES on 13 25 00.
- For life threatening situations, call 000 immediately.
- Weather Forecast: Showers.
- Next Issue: By 10am, Sunday 13/10/2013
- For the latest rainfall and river level information see www.bom.gov.au/tas/flood