for Central Plateau, Upper Derwent Valley and South East, North West Coast, Central North, North East, Western, Midlands and East Coast forecast districts
UPDATED at 9.30pm
Issued at 9.11pm on Monday 12 August 2013.
Icy roads will make driving conditions dangerous during Tuesday morning in parts of the North West Coast, Central North, North East, Western, Central Plateau, Midlands, East Coast, Upper Derwent Valley and South East forecast districts.
For information on any road closures, please contact your local council or the Police.
The next alert will be issued by 5am Tuesday.
Roads Closure, Roads Affected By Snow, Highlands and West Coast Areas
Updated Monday, 12 August 2013 - 9.21pm
Police have received reports that snow and ice has made driving hazardous on all roads in elevated areas. Motorists using elevated roads should reduce speed and proceed with caution. In particular:
- Highland Lakes Rd from the Steppes through to Golden Valley is 4WD only.
- Marlborough Rd and Poatina Rd should be accessed by 4WD vehicles and light vehicles with chains only; due to heavy snow in the area.
- The Lyell Hwy at Mt Arrowsmith is blocked as two B Double semi-trailers have jack-knifed due to icy conditions and snow. The highway will most likely remain closed until the morning.
- The Murchison Hwy is covered by approximately 75mm of snow near Waratah. Local police report that snow and ice are on the highway from Hampshire to Tullah.
- The Belvior Rd and Cradle Mountain Rd are similarly affected by ice and snow and should only be used by 4WD vehicles or light vehicle equipped with chains.
- The Anthony Rd is closed to all traffic due to thick snow. The road is closed at both ends.