Bushfire Advice Message
Glen Dhu Rd, MOLESWORTH
Current from:10/02/2013 09:55 PM until: 11/02/2013 09:59 AM or further notice
There is a large bushfire at Glen Dhu Rd, MOLESWORTH.
The fire danger rating in this area is high. Fire under these conditions can be uncontrollable and unpredictable.
This fire may affect the communities of Suhrs Rd, Myrtle Forest Rd, Springdale Rd, Old Springdale Rd, Fehlbergs Rd, Valley Rd, Fairy Glen Rd, Mount Hull Rd, Collins Cap Rd, Ironstone Gully, and Ringwood Rd.
There is no immediate threat to communities. This bushfire is currently not controlled.
There may be smoke and ash falling on communities to the north-west of the fire at Ringwood Rd, and Ironstone Gully Rd. There may also be smoke and ash falling on communities from the south-east edge of the fire including Suhrs Road, Glenlusk, Collinsvale.
Reported Road Closures: Ringwood Road is closed to the public (excepting residents). Roads may be affected by smoke. Motorists are advised to drive carefully and turn on headlights. For up-to-date information on road closures for this fire refer to the Tasmania Police website.
What to do:
- Check your bushfire plan now; well constructed and prepared homes are defendable in these conditions.
- If you don’t have a bushfire plan or your plan is to leave, consider leaving the affected area for a relative or friends place if conditions worsen, only if the path is clear.
- Unless you are a resident or have urgent business, consider avoiding travel in this area.
- Stay informed in case conditions change.
- Monitor ABC Local Radio & TFS Website – www.fire.tas.gov.au for further information.
- The main fire activity is on the western edge of the fire just south of Ringwood Rd. There is also activity on the south-eastern edge to the north of the East-West Trail through to Collins Bonnet in very steep and inaccessible terrain.
- Communities will be affected by variable smoke conditions overnight due to expected wind changes of approximately 360 degrees with speeds of 5km/h and gusts up to 10km/h.
- During the evening smoke may impact on Lachlan and New Norfolk with winds out of the south-east and a change around 1am to the north-north-east driving smoke to the Huon Valley. Winds are then expected to change again around 4am to north-westerlies with smoke and ash falling on the Northern Suburbs and Mount Wellington. Winds will change once more around 7am to west with smoke and ash falling on Collinsvale and Glenlusk. Winds are expected to stay out of the west and west-north-west for the remainder of the morning which will have smoke over Mt Wellington and the Hobart City area.
- Crews tomorrow, with the assistance of machinery, will be working on the fire edge around the Ironstone Gully, Ringwood Rd and Ringwood Trail area. Crews are also undertaking property protection at the bottom of Ringwood Trail.
- The fire in this area is producing a considerable amount of smoke which will be visible from and may fall on the Northern Suburbs, Collinsvale, Molesworth. People in New Norfolk may also see an increase in smoke.
- Crews conducted backburning operations south of Ringwood Rd area which produced significant amounts of smoke around midday today. Crews will continue to monitor this area overnight.
For up to date information on track and trail closures refer to Wellington Park website.
TFS Attending Resources:
12 x LIGHT TANKER
4 x MEDIUM TANKER
1 x HEAVY TANKER
3 x TFS
4 x PERSONNEL CARRIER
1 x CAR
1 x MEDIUM TANKER
Non-TFS Attending Resources:
6 x Parks and Wildlife crews
6 x Forestry Tasmania crews