Bushfire Watch & Act Message
Glen Dhu Rd, MOLESWORTH
Current from: 09/02/2013 11:45 PM until: 09/02/2013 11:59 PM or further notice
There is a large bushfire at Glen Dhu Rd, MOLESWORTH.
The fire danger rating in this area is forecast to be high tomorrow (Sunday). Fire under these conditions can be uncontrollable and unpredictable.
This fire may affect the communities of Ironstone Gully, Ringwood Rd, Mount Hull Rd, Collins Cap Rd, Suhrs Rd, Valley Rd, Myrtle Forest Rd, Fehlbergs Rd, Old Springdale Rd, Springdale Rd and Fairy Glen Rd.
This bushfire is currently not controlled. This bushfire may create spot-fires ahead of the main fire. These spot fires may threaten your home earlier than the predicted main fire front.
There may be embers, smoke and ash falling on Ringwood Rd, Ironstone Gully, Suhrs Rd, Glenlusk, Collinsvale and Mt Wellington areas.
Roads may be affected by smoke and motorists are advised to drive carefully and turn on headlights.
Reported Road Closures:
- Mount Hull Rd at the junction of Collins Cap Rd is closed to the public (excepting residents).
- Collins Cap Rd from the junction of Tubbs Rd to the junction of Springdale Rd is closed to all traffic, except emergency services.
- Glen Dhu Rd, Molesworth Rd, Tubbs Rd and Wyre Forest Rd are closed to the public (excepting residents).
- Pinnacle Rd and all walking tracks on the eastern side of Mt Wellington will be open to the public from 8am, Sunday, February 10. Please note that Pinnacle Road may close again at short notice if conditions change.
- For up to date information on road closures for this fire refer to Tasmania Police website at Road and Park Closures - Collinsvale Area.
What to do:
- Activate your Bushfire Suvival Plan now.
- If your home is well constructed, prepared and actively defended, it may provide shelter.
- If you don’t have a Bushfire Survival Plan or your plan is to leave - leave now only if the path is clear.
- There is a Community Fire Refuge at Carinya Education Park next to New Norfolk High School, 103 Blair St.
- There are also Nearby Safer Places identified at Collinsvale War Memorial Hall at 14 Halls Rd and Malbina Cemetery at 100 Molesworth Rd.
- If you are away from home: Do not try to return as the roads in this area could be highly dangerous.
- Non-residents should stay away from the affected areas.
- Monitor ABC Local Radio & TFS Website – www.fire.tas.gov.au for further instructions.
- The main fire activity is in the south west to southern area around Ringwood Trail to East-West Trail through to Collins Bonnet in very steep and inaccessible terrain.
- Crews with the assistance of machinery are working on the fire edge around the Ironstone Gully, Ringwood Rd and Ringwood Trail area. Crews are also undertaking property protection at the bottom of Ringwood Trail.
- There is active fire around Collins Cap Rd with the junction of Suhrs Rd. This is not causing any immediate threat to residents, but residents need to remain vigilant.
- The fire in this area is producing a considerable amount of smoke and may be causing smoke and ash to be falling in many areas including the Northern Suburbs, Hobart CBD, and Mt Wellington Area extending to Taroona and the Eastern Suburbs.
- Collinsvale: Collinsvale Memorial Hall, 14 Hall St, Collinsvale, Sunday January 10 at 10am
- Molesworth: Derwent Valley Sports Centre, Derwent Terrace, New Norfolk (near Boyer Oval), Sunday January 10 at 1pm
- Mountain River: Mountain River Community Hall, 263 Mountain River Rd, Sunday January 10 at 3pm
Advice to Glen Dhu Road residents
- Glen Dhu Road is open to residents, but closed to the public. Residents who are within this area need to be cautious of falling trees and branches and Aurora crews who are working within this area. There is still fire activity in this area with crews deployed to continue extinguishing and blackening out any fire edges. If there is any fire activity causing concern to these residents call Triple Zero.
Closure of Wellington Park walking tracks and trails
- For up to date information on track and trail closures refer to Wellington Park website.
TFS Attending Resources:
10 x LIGHT TANKER
3 x HEAVY TANKER
4 x MEDIUM TANKER
2 x TFS
4 x PERSONNEL CARRIER
1 x CAR
1 x HEAVY TANKER
2 x LIGHT TANKER
1 x MECH SERVICE VAN
2 x PERSONNEL CARRIER