Bushfire Watch & Act Message
Dawson Road, LAKE REPULSE
Current from: 7/01/2013 5:44 PM until: 7/01/2013 8:00PM or further notice
There is a large bushfire at Dawson Road, LAKE REPULSE . The fire is now due East of Ellendale.
The fire danger rating in this area is high . Fire under these conditions can be difficult to control .
This fire is expected to affect the communities of Ellendale, Karanja, Westerway, Hamilton and Ouse throughout today.
This bushfire is currently not controlled. There may be embers, smoke, and ash falling on Hamilton and Ouse from around 6pm today.
Ellendale Rd from Westerway to Ellendale is now open
Reported Road Closures:
- Dawsons Rd
- Jones River Rd
- Rockmount Rd
- Lake Repulse Rd at the junction with Lyell Hwy.
- Scotts Peak Rd (and Mt Anne track) from Gordon River Rd.
- For up-to-date road closures please refer to the Tasmania Police website: www.police.tas.gov.au/community-alerts/
What to do:
- Maintain you activated bushfire plan.
- Residents that have relocated to a nearby safer place should remain there.
- If your home is well constructed, prepared and actively defended, it may provide shelter in these conditions.
- If you don’t have a plan or your plan is to leave – leave now only if the path is clear.
- If you are away from home: Do not try to return to your home as the roads in this area could be highly dangerous.
- Non-residents should stay away from the affected areas.
- Monitor ABC Local Radio & http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/ for further instructions.
- Fire activity on the south-western boundary has reduced, with work continuing to consolidate containment lines behind houses east of Ellendale Rd.
- The eastern edge of the fire on the Derwent River has been extinguished, with the exception of a few hotspots.
- The north-western edge of the fire is still causing concern with crews working to tie in the fire edge either side of the Broad River Valley.
- Crews are working on the Repulse River Valley to try to contain an active fire edge which is burning in a westerly direction from Dawsons Rd.
- People are reminded that all camp grounds in the area are closed and asked not to return to these camp areas.
- Motorists must drive with care. Power lines and wandering stock are creating hazards.
- The Community Fire Refuge located at "Carinya" behind New Norfolk High School 103 Blair St NEW NORFOLK has CLOSED.
- Mt Field National Park is closed.
- Police are urging people to register their details with the National Registration and Inquiry Service on 1800 727 077 or via www.redcross.org.au. This is important to enable police to cross-reference details of possibly displaced people and discount them as a potential concern for welfare where appropriate.
- People who have already registered at a Community Fire Refuge should re-register on the above number.