Bushfire Watch & Act Message
Dawson Road, LAKE REPULSE
Current from:07/01/2013 11:34 AM until: 07/01/2013 02:00 PM or further notice
There is a large bushfire at Dawson Rd, LAKE REPULSE. The fire is now due east of Ellendale.
The fire danger rating in this area is high. Fire under these conditions can be difficult to control.
This fire is expected to affect the communities of Ellendale, Karanja, Westerway, Hamilton and Ouse throughout today.
This bushfire is currently not controlled. There may be embers, smoke, and ash falling on Hamilton and Ouse from around noon today.
Reported Road Closures:
- Ellendale Rd at junction with Lyell Hwy
- Ellendale Rd at the junction with Holmes Rd
- Ellendale Rd at Rockmount Rd junction
- Dawson Rd from the intersection with Ellendale Rd
- Lake Repulse Rd at the junction with Lyell Hwy,
- Cluny Lagoon Rd from the intersection with the Lyell Hwy
- Pillies Rd from the intersection with Ellendale Rd
- Rockmount Rd closed at Ellendale Rd
- Interlaken Rd is closed from the junction with Dennistoun Rd to the junction with the Highlands Lake Rd
What to do:
- Maintain your activated bushfire plan.
- Residents that have relocated to a nearby safer place should remain there.
- If your home is well constructed, prepared and actively defended, it may provide shelter in these conditions.
- If you don’t have a plan or your plan is to leave – leave now only if the path is clear.
- If you are away from home: Do not try to return to your home as the roads in this area could be highly dangerous.
- Non-residents should stay away from the affected areas.
- Monitor ABC Local Radio & http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/ for further instructions.
- There has been significant backburning undertaken overnight and this morning which is producing large columns of smoke around Westerway, Ellendale and Karanja. There has also been backburning undertaken on the north eastern end of the fire.
- People are reminded that all camp grounds in the area are closed and asked not to return to these camp areas.
- Motorists must drive with care. Power lines and wandering stock are creating hazards.
- The Community Fire Refuge located at "Carinya" near New Norfolk High School, 103 Blair St NEW NORFOLK has CLOSED.
- Mt Field National park is closed.
- Police are urging people to register their details with the National Registration and Inquiry Service on 1800 727 077 or via www.redcross.org.au.
- This is important to enable police to cross-reference details of possibly displaced people and discount them as a potential concern for welfare where appropriate.
- People who have already registered at a Community Fire Refuge should re-register on the above number.