for the Upper Derwent Valley and South East forecast districts
Issued at 7:32 am EDT on Saturday 8 December 2012.
For the rest of Saturday 8 December:
Very High Fire Danger is forecast for the following forecast districts:
Upper Derwent Valley and South East
Temperatures in the low thirties, relative humidities around 20% and fresh and gusty northwesterly winds are expected on Saturday. Some bushfires breaking out will spread rapidly and be difficult to control. There is a possibility that people in the path of a fire who are not well prepared may be killed or seriously injured.
The Tasmania Fire Service advises you to:
- Check your bush fire survival plan - Now.
- Monitor the fire and weather situation on ABC radio or through www.fire.tas.gov.au.
- If power supplies fail, listen on your car radio.
The Tasmania Fire Service advises that if you are in an area of Very High or Severe Fire Danger:
- Get ready now to leave for a safe place.
- Leave immediately if fire breaks out near you.
- Only stay if your home is well prepared to withstand fire and you can actively defend it.
No further warnings will be issued for this event, but the situation will continue to be monitored and further warnings issued if necessary.
Tasmanian weather and warnings website here