Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Tasmanian Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DESTRUCTIVE WIND, HEAVY RAINFALL, LARGE HAILSTONES and TORNADOESFor people in the
Upper Derwent Valley and parts of the
South East and
Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 11:19 am Friday, 9 November 2012.
THIS INCLUDES A TORNADO WARNING.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce destructive winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, large hailstones and tornadoes in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include New Norfolk, Oatlands, Richmond, Hobart and Huonville.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 13 25 00.
The next warning is due to be issued by 2.20pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.