|Mt Koonya radar|
The new doppler radar has a higher resolution than the previous radar at Hobart Airport, providing data that allows forecasters and the community to see, in greater detail, upcoming weather including thunderstorms and strong winds. It will also help improve forecasts for the region by providing forecasters with additional information on rainfall from thunderstorms to cold fronts that can move towards the populated southeast from the west at any time of the year. These improvements include:
- continuous 24/7 weather radar coverage for southern Tasmania via the Bureau's website
- better estimates of rainfall rates for use in flood warnings
- better detection of clear air boundaries which are vital for groups like bushfire management agencies and the aviation industry.
- farmers who would like to check on remote paddocks or areas off farm where rainfall is crucial
- primary producers concerned about weather effects on crops and stock
- bushwalkers who would like to see forecasted cold fronts
- fishermen and women who need to know the forecast weather conditions.