Friday, January 19, 2018

Government boost for Maydena Bike Park

JUST days ahead of the opening of the Maydena Bike Park next week, the State Government has provided funding for the second stage of the development. Environment and Parks Minister Elise Archer yesterday said 11 projects had been approved for funding under the  government's Cycle Tourism Strategy.

"This includes $800,000 for Stage 2 of the Maydena Bike Park that will establish Maydena as a leading mountain bike destination, resulting in an estimated tripling in total visitation and an additional 20 new full-time equivalent positions directly employed by the park," Mrs Archer said.

The Maydena Bike Park is set to open on Australia Day, offering a range of mountain bike trails suitable for everyone, from families through to elite riders. Posting on Instagram yesterday, the business said Stage 2 would feature another 65km of trails, with work due to start in coming weeks.

Riders on opening day, which is all but booked out, will have 27 trails to choose from.

Mrs Archer said the state's growing reputation as the cycling tourism capital of Australa was a great example of how the State Government’s expression of interest process for developing new tourism opportunities in National Parks, Reserves and Crown Land had created jobs and opened up stunning natural areas for tourism developments, especially in regional and rural areas.

"The government is a strong supporter of our booming visitor economy because it supports local economies and creates jobs right across the state, and this will entice tourists to stay longer and help achieve our goal to increase visitor overnight stays in regional areas by 70 per cent by 2022."

"We have targeted cycle tourism as one of the state’s strongest competitive advantages, with already around 38,000 visitors jumping on a bike to enjoy what Tasmania has to offer. We expect these numbers to continue to grow, and the Cycle Tourism Strategy is backed by a $6 million fund to achieve this."

The Maydena Bike Park funding announcement follows Liberal Party election pledges of $2.5 million to upgrade Glenora Rd and $5 million for a replacement police station in New Norfolk.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Southern cricket - Round 9

AFTER Round 8 of the Southern Cricket Association was played in very hot conditions, Round 9 last weekend was the total opposite. Temperatures on Saturday were as low as 15C at Bothwell, and heavy rain affected or washed-out some matches.

First Grade
New Norfolk I, just off top spot on the ladder by percentage, had a good win over Derwent at Tynwald Park. The visitors made 7-172 off their 50 overs. Then, with rain interrupting play, the overs and target were reduced with the Red Caps winning with 3-115 off 26.5 overs. First drop Matthew Bowden made 48, which included two fours and four sixes in an entertaining knock. Seb Wishart made 29no with three fours while opener Harry Booth made 10 (one four). Doing the damage with the ball earlier, opener Jason Rigby sent down 10 overs, taking 3-34 . Jordan Banks-Smith was tight, taking 2-28 (10), as was Joe McCulloch who sent down 10 overs for the tidy figures of 1-14. His spell included four maidens. The other wicket went to Josh Rowlands with 1-45 (10).

Second Grade
Gretna I accounted for Sorell by 119 runs in a match interrupted by rain. Winning the toss and batting first, Gretna hit up the good score of 8-245 off its 50 overs. In reply, Sorell was dismissed for 126 in 38.3 overs. Gretna’s top-order batsmen all made half-centuries. Openers Ben Rainbird with 52 (one four, three sixes) and Glenn Blackwell with 56 (five fours, two sixes) put on a partnership of 96. Rhys Browning got a well-made 56 (three fours, one six) and put on 65 with Luke Crosswell (17). Down the order, Aaron Maddox made 12 (one four) and Zac Crosswell 12no (one six). With the ball for Gretna, Peter Jelkic had the best figures with 3-22 (9) while spinner Craig Cunningham 3-36 (10) and paceman Aaron Maddox 3-38 (10) were also very good. Jackson Ackerly chipped in with 1-10 off 2.3 overs.

The other Second Grade match between Molesworth I and St Annes at Cadbury Oval No. 1 was a washout. Molesworth did get to bat before the match was called off and was all out for 137 from 30.1 overs. Nick Piuselli made 38 (six fours), Brad Coppleman got 34 (six fours), and captain Brayden Hodge made 17 (two fours). Josh Ransley and Jeremy Nichols made 12 each and both hit two fours.

Third Grade
The match between New Norfolk II and Campania at Campania got under way, but was eventually washed out. After being sent in to bat, Campania was all out for 126 from 38.2 overs. Wicket takers for the Red Caps were Stewart Rice with 3-21 (10), Josh Walsh with 3-30 (9.2), Nathan Rice with 2-13 (4) and Aaron Drew with 1-28 (5).

Fourth Grade
In another rain-affected match at Bothwell, Gretna II defeated Bothwell I by five wickets. Winning the toss, Bothwell had first hit and was bowled out for 101 off 24 overs. In reply, and with a reduced target of 81 from 40 overs due to the rain interruptions, Gretna finished 5-81 from 27 overs. For Gretna the stand out was paceman Cameron Emery who captured 6-41 from his 10 overs in a very good spell of bowling. With the bat Emery remained 11no at the end to give his side victory. Others to do well were Sam Booth who bowled six overs and 3-25 (two maidens), Jake Campbell with 1-29 (6) and Todd Jarvis with 18 (one four). For Bothwell, Nathan Eyles made a good 32, hitting three fours and two sixes. Nathan White made 15 (one four, one six) and Joey Eyles 13 (two fours). Matthew Eyles took 2-15 off eight overs in a very good display of spin bowling. Josh Eyles got 1-10 (5) and Nathan Eyles 1-14 (5) also did his bit. Special mention must go to Gretna wicket-keeper Brian Smith, who ran and dived full stretched to take an excellent one-handed catch. Not a bad effort for a bloke in his 50s!

Seventh Grade 
New Norfolk III went down to Hobart at Risdon Vale two wickets. Batting first, the Red Caps were dismissed for just 93 off 23.4 overs. Brad Kemmler was the only batsman to get double figures, top scoring with 36. There were 29 extras. In reply, Hobart made hard work of it, finishing 8-94 off 38.4 overs. Wicket takers were opener Stuart Muir who bowled very well to keep his side in the game with 4-26 from 10 overs. Zaheer Hussain was very tight with 1-15 (10) including two maidens. The other bowlers were Brad Kemmler with 1-18 (9), David Mitchelmore with 1-15 (4.4) and Liam Kalbfell with 1-18 (5). In the other match at Cambridge Oval, Molesworth II went down to St Aidans by just 25 runs. The home side had first dig and were all out for 158 off 46.2 overs. In reply Molesworth gave it a good shot finishing all out for 133 from 45.4 overs. The batsmen got off to a great start, with opener Josh Nichols batting superbly, making 53 including five fours. But from here things didn’t go to plan. Jack Evans, with the next best score of 24 (one four, one six), tried to keep his team in it but it wasn’t to be. Hang in there boys, I’m sure a win is just around the corner.

Eighth Grade 
Bothwell II easily defeated MacKillop Beltas by 109 runs at home. Batting first, the Bucks made the big score of 9-245 off their 50 overs. Captain and opener Anthony White got his team off to a great start, making 40 in a knock that included five fours. Batting at No. 9, Jamie Devine made a very handy 35 that included five fours. Devine put on 52 with Brodie White who remained 31no, including four fours. Mark Pearce made a handy 28 (four fours) and Cody Eyles got 23 (one four, two sixes). In reply the visitors were bundled out for 136 off 36.4 overs. Opening bowlers Mark Pearce with 4-39 (9.4) and Cody Eyles with 3-25 (9), including two maidens, did the most of the damage with great bowling while Simon Eyles was also effective taking 2-11 from four overs. Peter Hansch took the other wicket 1-35 (7). A great win for the Bucks who are looking very good to figure in the top four come finals time.

Friday: Second day of Total Fire Ban

THE Tasmania Fire Service has declared the continuation of the Total Fire Ban for Friday with dangerous fire weather conditions expected. The Total Fire Ban will remain in force in the south and will extend to the entire north and parts of the north-west until midnight on Friday.

"The Total Fire Ban that is in place has been extended until midnight on Friday because of the predicted conditions," state fire controller Greg Butters," Greg Butters said.

The conditions in some areas are expected to see Very High and Severe fire danger ratings. Dry and windy conditions and temperatures in the high 20s to mid-30s are expected. A front is expected to cross the south east mid-morning and reach the northeast by mid-afternoon. The front is expected to bring stronger and gustier wind speeds and the potential for thunderstorms.

The continuation of a Total Fire Ban means that no fires can be lit in the open air. The embargo on all permits is to also continue. Operators of machinery are to comply with the TFS Machinery Operations Guidelines in relation to operating under Total Fire Ban declarations which can be found on the TFS website.

"Fires that occur will be difficult to control and we urge the public to report any fires to TFS immediately by calling triple zero (000) to give us the best chance of containing the fire quickly," Mr Butters said.

"We ask that people check all fires they may have had on their property, including any campfires to ensure they are fully extinguished. People are also encouraged to check their Bushfire Survival Plan and be ready to act if needed," Mr Butters said.

The Tasmania Fire Service, along with Parks and Wildlife Service and Sustainable Timber Tasmania, are maintaining a heightened state of readiness, with strategically-placed strike teams and aircraft, incident management teams and extra firefighting resources on standby in order to attack fires quickly.

When instances of higher fire danger occur, it is important that people know exactly what to do if a fire threatens their home or property. To assist with this planning, residents are encouraged to visit the TFS website to view the Community Bushfire Protection Plan that may cover their area. These are developed to inform residents of Nearby Safer Places, evacuation routes and how to receive emergency information. Information is also included that will assist in preparing individual Bushfire Survival Plans prior to a fire occurring.

The Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service has established a campfire restriction in National Park including those in the Upper Derwent Valley. The restriction bans the lighting or use by any person of any campfire, fire pot or other device that burns coal, wood, plant material or any other solid fuel. Gas stoves are permitted. The restriction will be in place from Saturday, January 20, until Wednesday, March 14.

Details of campfire restrictions are available on the PWS website at www.parks.tas.gov.au or by contacting the Parks and Wildlife Service on 1300 827 727.

For more information about Total Fire Bans visit www.fire.tas.gov.au and listen to ABC Local Radio in the event of an emergency.

Fire weather warning updated

Bureau of Meteorology

Tasmania


Fire Weather Warning
for the Midlands and Upper Derwent Valley forecast districts

Issued at 4:55am on Thursday 18 January 2018.


Weather Situation

A ridge of high pressure lies to the east of Tasmania, bringing warm, dry air from the mainland. Temperatures will reach into the low to mid thirties and relative humidities as low as 15%. Northeast to northwesterly winds will average 20 to 30 km/h. Winds will become gusty through the Midlands and Central North forecast districts, possibly reaching up to 55 to 65 km/h during the afternoon.


For the rest of Thursday 18 January:

Very High Fire Danger is forecast for the following forecast districts:
Midlands and Upper Derwent Valley 


The Tasmania Fire Service advises you to:

  • Action your Bushfire Survival Plan now.
  • Monitor the fire and weather situation through your local radio station, www.fire.tas.gov.au and www.bom.gov.au.
  • Call 000 (Triple Zero) in an emergency.

For information on preparing for bushfires go to www.fire.tas.gov.au.

Tip closed today

THE operators Peppermint Hill Refuse Site in New Norfolk have advised that the facility will be closed today (Thursday) due to the declaration of a Total Fire Ban.

The tip site will be closed on any day of a Total Fire Ban. More information about the fire ban is available on the TFS website (www.fire.tas.gov.au).

Advice for today's Total Fire Ban

TASMANIA FIRE SERVICE
General advice on a day of Total Fire Ban

Tools and Equipment: Tools and equipment that use a naked flame or generate sparks such as welding or grinding, must not be used in the open air. If essential works are required to be done a special permit may be issued, after a thorough investigation of each application. Apply to your TFS Regional Office.

Barbecues that use wood, charcoal or other solid fuel are banned: Gas and electric barbecues are permitted subject to the strict application of the conditions set out below. Gas and electric barbecues provided in public reserves/campsites may be used providing:
  • the barbecue is electric or gas fired
  • the barbecue is fixed permanent structure.

Portable gas and electric barbecues may be used provided the barbecue is located within 20 metres of a permanent dwelling (mobile homes, caravans or tents are not classified as permanent dwellings).

Additional conditions that apply to the use of portable electric and gas fired barbecues and barbecues in public reserves and campsites:
  • the area for 3 metres around and above the barbecue is completely cleared of flammable material.
  • an adult is in attendance at all times
  • a tap with hose connected is ready for use
  • at least 10 litres of water is on hand in case of emergency.

Water Usage: For information regarding water usage during a day of Total Fire Ban please refer to www.taswater.com.au 

For more information about Total Fire Bans visit www.fire.tas.gov.au and listen to ABC Local Radio in the event of an emergency.

Report any fires to the Tasmania Fire Service immediately by calling triple zero (000).

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Derwent Valley fire weather warning

Bureau of Meteorology
Tasmania


Fire Weather Warning
for the Midlands and Upper Derwent Valley forecast districts


Issued at 2:44pm on Wednesday 17 January 2018.


Weather Situation

A ridge of high pressure moves to the east of Tasmania, bringing warm, dry air from the mainland. Temperatures into the low to mid thirties and relative humidities reaching as low as 15%. Northeast to northwesterly winds averaging 20 to 30 km/h. Winds becoming gusty through the Midlands and Central North forecast districts, reaching up to 55 to 65 km/h during the afternoon.


For Thursday 18 January:

Very High Fire Danger is forecast for the following forecast districts: Midlands and Upper Derwent Valley 

The Tasmania Fire Service advises you to:

  • Action your Bushfire Survival Plan now.
  • Monitor the fire and weather situation through your local radio station, www.fire.tas.gov.au and www.bom.gov.au.
  • Call 000 (Triple Zero) in an emergency.
  • For information on preparing for bushfires go to www.fire.tas.gov.au.

The next warning will be issued by 5am Thursday.